March
I attended a conference for school in Boston. My presentation was awesome and I just loved Boston. That place had a lot of history and I met so many great people. I forgot how much my accent (Yeah apparently I have one) is such a crowd pleaser. Of course once they hear it, they ask where its from (they try to guess and are ALWAYS wrong) and then they say "I've always wanted to go to New Zealand" or "I love New Zealand" or "I loved Lord of the Rings" (thinking that we are all hobbits down here). Well Boston was no exception. I went to one place called Mike's Bakery and the lady there loved my accent so much she gave me the 'try before you buy' treatment, it was a good day to be a kiwi. I really loved visiting Harvard University. I just felt so smart walking around campus and the whole colonial feel was really what I think Academics is all about. I think if I had a choice of living in the USA I'd love to live in New York or Boston.
One of the many buildings part of Harvard University Campus.
This is the owner from the Pizza place around the corner from Harvard University. We were told it was one of the best pizza joints in Boston. Once he heard my accent he told me he dated a woman from NZ and then told me he loved NZ women. He said it was the best weekend of his life (translation he had a DW with a kiwi chick) ha ha... Consequently I ordered another pizza. :)
April
Well April was my birthday and it was extremely low key. I also got tested for Celiacs disease and was told I'm borderline and that's when I started to try and change my diet to accommodate being gluten free (GF). I HATE IT!!!! The one thing I like the most is bread and especially maori bread. I have never known a maori that doesn't eat bread or even a polynesian!!! So trying to eat bread and other carbs that are GF is hideous. I absolutely hate it. I know I'm only borderline but I've had to make some changes in my life and once again I hate it. All the GF food really lacks in taste. I went to a GF and allergies show (yes it sounds like a freak show) but I soon realized that I wasn't alone in this. GF food here in NZ is so expensive and takes a little getting use to. NZ is famous for its pies and I've had to cut that out heavily, and once again I hate it. So I'm taking a shine to salads and veges. My body has been yoyoing in weight and just being able to adapt to different varieties of food and some days I just won't eat cos there is nothing that quite satisfies the hunger. A very nice lady that I work with has a Celiac husband and daughter and she felt sorry for me and brought me in a whole bunch of groceries. I was very humbled, its like she jumped straight out of the visiting teaching manual. However, she is not LDS but just a nice caring person. She felt really sorry for me that I wouldn't be able to drink beer. I told her I think I would be ok.
May
My friends Beth, Kristi and Marisa came to visit me here in NZ. They came for a week and we fit in so much. We visited the Museum, Sky Tower, The Shire (Hobbiton), Waitomo Caves, Tamaki Village, Luge, Fat Dog Cafe, Mt Maunganui, Squid Row Pub, Otara Markets, Blues Vs Chiefs Rugby Game, church and then they flew home. It was a great week and we fit in so much and it was so great to have them come visit. I really missed them when they left. I then had to kick in my school work. I'm trying to write my Lit Review chapter of my dissertation and it is kicking my trash. School is my life now. No more playing, no more trips, no more anything cos school is where it is at.
This is a shot of us at the beach just as the sun was setting. This looks like a real family picture (ha ha) but it was put on the timer so we sat still until it went off.
This is us at the Michael Savage lookout point in Auckland. Apart from one day we had the best weather ever.
June
School is still kicking my trash and I'm a little bit behind but I know I can do it. I work 2 days a week (Tues/Thurs) from 9-5 and then I do school work for at least 3 hours in the evening. Mon / Wed / Fri read and write for school from 9am - 9pm, Sat I try to put in at least 8 hours 9am - 5pm, sunday I rest and I'm in bed most nights by 10:30 at the latest cos I'm up at 4:30am preparing as I teach early morning seminary Mon-Fri. My life is full on with school but man I feel the hand of the lord in my life. I've had some amazing doors opened for me with wonderful opportunities I just now need to work hard to deserve them. It's been crazy and continues to be but no one said life would be easy.
PS. DW - dirty weekend
Yaaaay! Ooh, yes! Please move to New York or Boston so I can visit :) Oh, and duh! Mr. Pizza man was fully throwing hints haha and um...thanks for clarifying DW cause I was like what?
ReplyDelete